Thursday, January 29, 2009

Christmas Part 2 1/2

Sorry for the break in my trip home but I wanted to get something posted before it ended up becoming way too long. In the last post I ended with my Christmas night. It was a great night and I wouldn't have changed a thing. That night I truly felt blessed to have so many great people in my life.

Friday was a great day of sight seeing in the great state of Arizona. I normally don't go sight seeing in my own state but Krista and Becca had never been and I had to show them what a saguaro cactus is. We went driving out east and stopped on the side of the road to take pictures of one of the largest saguaro cacti. It probably had about 15 arms and was about 20-25 feet tall.
Becca was so scared the cactus was going to jump and get her, she was seriously like a foot away.

After our adventure to the cactus we had lunch at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, Rosa's. It was so yummy!! I am getting hungry just thinking about it.
After lunch I took them to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Temple in Mesa, Arizona. I love the Temple! It had always been my place to go whenever I need that extra boast of spirituality or I just need to get away from the world and think about things. I went there often while I was living in Arizona.
Friday night was pizza/game night with all of my AZ friends. Curtis, Jeff, Jesse, Jeremy and I have been friends since high school. I am grateful to have such a great group of friends. Curtis, Jeff, and Jeremy are all married now and have added their wives to the group (Dani, Rachael, & Jo). Robin and Josh were also there to join in the fun and they will be adding a little one to the group in March. Jeremy and Jo were the first to have a baby and they have the cutest little girl. It can get a little crazy when we all get together but incredibly fun.

In the middle of playing Scatergories Krista, Becca, and I went to the Temple to see the Christmas Lights. I love the Christmas lights at the Temple. While we were there we asked this couple to take a picture of us and before she took our picture she asked us what our story was, how we all knew each other. We all looked at each other and I think we all had the same thought, we have a pretty interesting story to tell. So we told the couple how we all met in New York and I was visiting my family here in AZ and they drove down from Utah to see me. They were a great couple and we talked to them for awhile.
from left to right: me, Jeremy & Jo Alldredge, Curtis & Dani Welton, Jeff & Rachael Downs, Jesse DeWitt, and Josh & Robin Winder
After the Temple we went back home to play more games. After most of my friends left we played Guitar Hero Aerosmith. Marcus was probably the best guitarist of all of us, no surprise there, he is the only one in the family with any musical talent. It took me awhile to get the hang of it but once I did, it was pretty fun.
What Christmas is all about

Saturday was probably my favorite day since being in AZ because I spent time with Cooper. It was just the two of us. We had planned a few weeks prior that one of his Christmas presents would be to go to Build-A-Bear. We had so much fun. On the way there he asked if we were getting one for Easton too. He really wanted to make one for Easton and I think if I were to have given him the choice of making one for himself or Easton, he would have chosen one for Easton. He is a great big brother! We got to build a bear and I told him he could make a bear for Easton as well as one for himself. He was so excited at the thought of making one for his brother too.
Stuffing the bear
Making sure the bear is hugable
Showing off his bear (He named it Teddy)
Washing Teddy, he loved this part
This was the heart for Easton's dog. He made a wish on the heart. It was soooo cute.
He was so excited to make this dog for Easton
Picking out names for the animals.
Cooper's bear-Teddy
Easton's dog-Pup
I know how original but he was very cute about picking out these names.
All dressed and ready to go...into combat.
Getting Pup ready to rock n roll.

Saturday night we went to the Phoenix Suns game. It was so much fun. It was my first Suns game I have ever been too even though I have been a Suns fan my whole life. If I have been before I don't remember it. My parents, Brandon and his girlfriend, Mindy, Krista, Becca, and Jesse were all there. It was an exciting game and they WON!
During half time they had a bunch of Santa Claus' shot baskets. They were fun to watch. There was even a girl who could make some crazy shots.
Shaq shooting a free throw
Grant Hill
I think this was the final.
Brandon and his girlfriend, Mindy (She is way too cute for him but she is also great for him)

After the game we went back home and Jeff and Rachael met us at the house. It is a tradition of sorts that when I come home for a visit Jeff and Rachael come over to play Dr. Mario on Nintendo 64. We started playing right before I moved to New York and I got them all hooked. Krista and Becca were leaving in the morning to go back to Utah so we couldn't play in the family room. Since we couldn't play there we took the TV and Nintendo 64 and brought it in the laundry room so we wouldn't disturb them. We had a blast but I was super tired by the time they left.
Setting up in the laundry room
Sunday was a great relaxing day full of family time. There were a lot of things I could have done if it weren't Sunday but because it was Sunday I was able to sit and talk to my Mom for awhile. My mom is seriously one of me best friends, if not my BEST friend and I could sit and talk to her for hours. I am so grateful for the wonderful relationship my mom and I have. We had another family dinner and it was sooo good. Oh, I love my mom's cooking. After dinner we played more Guitar Hero until the wee hours of the morning. I love spending time with my family. I have come to appreciate my family so much more while being gone. I even like spending time with Brandon, even before I left AZ he was still my little punk brother but now he is grown up and in college and we actually get along. We will see how long that last when I move back home.
My two favorite boys.
Courtney and Wes showing their rock n roll side

Mandi was really rockin out. She must be taking lessons from Marcus
Mom and I rocking out too.
All it all it was a fantastic trip and I really couldn't have asked for more.

Next up Christmas Part 3-California with my NY family.

No comments: