Sunday, August 23, 2009

Driving to church

Growing up in Mesa, Arizona, getting to church has always been about 5-10 minutes away. Even when our church was demolished and getting rebuilt and we had to go to different churches in Mesa it didn't take more than 15 minutes to get there. When I moved to Manhattan I go from 73rd & Park to 87th & 3rd. I usually take a taxi and it only takes around 5-8 minutes to get there. Now since being in the Hamptons I have to drive to Riverhead to get to church. On a GOOD day it takes me FORTY-FIVE MINUTES!!! Now after driving so far for church I have deep respect for those people who live in areas where the Church isn't as strong as say Mesa.

The drive to church is actually not bad, it is quite pretty and fun to drive. The part that I have a problem with is the traffic and I swear New Yorkers DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE! On one part of the drive there is always so much roadkill on this one section of the highway. One Sunday I saw 5 raccoons, a deer (with it's head cut off), a squirrel, and a couple other animals I could not figure out what they were. It is disgusting, I don't even look anymore because I can't stand it.

Another fun thing to see on my drive is in Flanders, NY. Below is a picture of this duck which is actually a souvenir store now. Go to this website for the history of the "Big Duck" on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Duck)

I will be so glad to be back in Manhattan where it will only take me 20 minutes to WALK to church. And I will be even more happy when I will be back in Mesa and I can drive my own car to church and it will only take 5-10 minutes.

Sorry for my rant, I just got home today from driving back from church and I was a little annoyed with the drive, the drivers, and everything in between but church was great.

No comments: