Some of you may of not heard the story that brought my to New York City. So I decided to write it in my blog, not just for all of you but for me to have a record of it.
Well, it all started last March when I came here with Hope Shepherd while she was auditioning for schools here, she plays the cello. It was a last minute trip. I think I booked my flight a week before I left. I immediately fell in love with the city. While she was auditioning or practicing I would tour the city by myself. I was fearless, the city was just another adventure. I loved everything about it. It was freezing while I was here but I still loved every minute.
When I went home I told my mom all about it. She had been here when she was a little girl but that was a long time ago and I just knew should would love it. Well, her birthday was on April 30th and I had brought it up with my dad and brothers and sisters that mom would love to go see a show on Broadway. Well, they were all a little unsure about it and wanted to make sure she would want to go. Well, she liked the idea and we started talking about it and looking up prices and she was on board to go, so we booked the flights, the hotel, and bought out Broadway tickets. While we were here we saw 3 broadway shows, but we only paid full price for one of them, the others we paid $25 and $26. I had an amazing time with my mom. We had a blast. We were joking half the time that everyone pushing a stroller or with kids was probably a nanny. I thought it would be fun to live here and be a nanny, that was really the first time I thought about it.
The first time I visited NYC, I fell in love with city, the second time I realized I wanted to live here for a short while. I went home and went back to work but the thought of becoming a nanny and moving to New York, never left my thoughts. So, shortly after coming home I put my bio up on a couple nanny websites, not thinking I would get any responses and almost immediately got 4 responses that were interested in me. It was shocked, I didn't tell anyone because I didn't think it would acutally happen. So, I kept searching for a family and found a couple promising families and I told my parents, I'm not sure what I was expecting but they were really supportive from the start and excited for me. I was excited and a little unsure and scared. I talked to a family who lived in New Jersey with 5 kids and I set up and interview with them. I was planning on going to NY by myself but my mom decided to come along and then Chris decided he wanted to tag along too. I got a call on Tuesday or Wednesday before I was going to New Jeresey for my other interview and I set up an interview for a family in Manhattan for one child on Park Ave. I was thrilled but realized I would probably not get this job. I had been talking to the mom from New Jersey for weeks and I felt I pretty much had the job before the interview.
We left late Friday night and got to NY early Saturday morning. My first interview was for the on in Manhattan at 3. Our hotel was in New Jersey and we couldn't make it there and back to my interview in time so I got ready in a McDonald's bathroom. Let's just say I wasn't very happy about that, you can ask my mom and Chris how I acted, it was a little childlike. I'm sorry for that. Well, we walked through Central Park to the Upper East Side and Chris and my mom went to explore the city. I wanted sometime to unwind before my interview and make sure I got there in time. I made it in plenty of time and walked around the block a few times. I really wasn't that nervous until I walked into the apartment building and was met by the doorman and they had to call up for me. I was almost expecting them to tell me I can't go up. Well, I was let up and I met Dr. B first. I think I was a little early and Mrs. B was at the gym still. He was very nice and I felt relaxed and comfortable already, except for the large picture of a woman topless breastfeeding an infant. It was a little unsettling. I talked to him for about 10-15 minutes, he asked me about my family, why I wanted to move, what I wanted to do with my life, those type of questions, not really hard. I then met Mrs. B and we talked for awhile, she told me what she was looking for in a nanny and asked me a dew questions. She talked a lot and everything she said I agreed with. So far so good, I thought. I still at this time did not think I had a chance. Later on I met William and the current nanny and the secretary. We went to the playroom and had a pillow fight, probably the only occupation that you can have a pillow fight for your interview. It was fun. Afterwards, I met with Katy, the nanny, and Annalie, the secretary and they gave me the low down on the family. I later found out, from Annalie, that Mrs. B told them that I was really nice and she liked me but wanted to know what they thought. We talked for about 15 to 20 minutes about what my daily duties would be and then William ran back in and wanted to play again. We played again for a bit and then it was time to go. He didn't want me to go and I was so tempted to say well I hope to be back sometime soon but I didn't think it was right to give false hope to a child when you had no idea.
I was completely impressed with the family and the job and I wanted it. I just instantly felt a bond with William and the rest of the family. I felt like this is where I was supposed to be. Everything was falling into place. The interview took about 2 and a half hours. I said my good byes and met my mom and Chris around the corner. I was very excited and my bad mood was gone, I think my mom and Chris were happy for that. I still didn't think I had a chance.
We went to dinner at a nice restaurant in the Hell's Kitchen area and then went to our hotel in New Jersey. We were all lying down in bed when my phone went off. If was Mrs. B pretty much telling me I had the job. She knew I had other interviews and wanted to make sure that I didn't make a choice without knowing that. She was offering me $250 more than I was asking and I had already made this amazing connection with everyone, it was a no brainer. She said she would call me again in the morning with more details. She said she wanted me to go to my other interview because she didn't want me to feel like I didn't look at all my options. I decided it would be a waste to go and so I didn't. My mom, Chris, and I went and toured the city. When I talked to her that morning we had discussed that I would call her Tuesday to tell her my decision and to get more details. Since I didn't go to my other interview, I had already made my decision, after looking over the facts it was easy. Manhattan vs New Jersey. 5 kids vs 1. More money and benefits vs less money and no benefits. It was simple. I told my job on Monday and on Tuesday I told her when I was coming.
Everything just fell into place after that. With everything that happened I know I am where I am supposed to be and this is what I am supposed to be doing. It is a miracle. I sometimes have to remind myself that it isn't a dream. I seriously have my dream job, I can't say on negative thing about it. And best of all, William loves me now, which makes things a lot easier. I couldn't of dreamed out a job better than this and I was truly guided and blessed to have made it here. So, for those who haven't heard the story now know how I got here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment