Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring in NYC

I have never really experienced Spring before, since Arizona doesn't really have any seasons but I have come to love Spring. It is a combination of nicer, warmer weather and the beautiful colors of the flowers and the trees. It has really been anywhere between the 40's and 60's but at least the 30's are over. It has even been in the 70's a couple times. This Friday it is supposed to be 75 degrees. Although, with the warmer weather I have also met humidity and I would rather take Arizona's 115 degree dry heat. I have been told that I haven't even felt humidity and that kind of scares me, it is just going to get worse.

Since moving here all I have seen are dead, bare trees and finally I am starting to see color. There are these beautiful trees that just starting to bloom, they are everywhere. There are pink and white flowers on the branches. I found out from a friend that they are magnolia trees. I love tulips and they are starting to bloom everywhery too. They are on every median on Park Ave so I see them everyday. I can't wait til they are at full bloom. I am excited to see Central Park when everything is at full bloom.

So today I went to South Seaport with a friend and I finally found a good mexican resturant. It was pretty good but nothing like I would get back home. After dinner I was craving chocolate, it was really odd, I never crave chocolate. I don't even really like chocolate. There was a Godiva store next to the resturant and we went to get some chocolate. I really wanted a chocolate covered strawberry, it was $4. I have never spent that much money on chocolate in my life but it looked really good and so I bought it. It was so good. I also bought some other chocolates. All in all I spent $11 at Godiva for 4 pieces of chocolate. I have NEVER spent that much money for chocolate ever, but it was so good. I think I got my chocolate fix for the next couple of years. After we got our chocolate we needed a place to sit and eat it. We found some benches outside and sat down. While we were sitting there, we realized we were sitting in front of a nursing home. There was this older lady wearing a helmet in a wheel chair going down the ramp. After we finished our chocolate we starting walking and there was the lady in the wheel chair again. I don't think she could use her arms or something so she was going backwards using her feet to push her. I told my friend, Krista, I feel bad, I want to push her or something. Krista said maybe she's escaping. I starting laughing. I couldn't even respond. I was finally able to say something, at that speed there is no way she could be escaping. It was funny, but I think you had to be there and see the whole situation.

Now that the weather is getting better there are more street performers and fun things going on at Central Park. We were there last week and saw these guys doing some crazy acrobatics. They were funny and pretty good. We actually saw 2 different groups doing pretty much the same demonstration. There are so many more people out and about too.

With the strike over and the nicer warmer also comes more movie and TV sets. In one week I saw 7 different sets around the city. 2 of which were right around the corner from my apartment. Gossip Girl was filming just around the corner from my apartment one day, their food service table was seriously right in front of my front door. I got to see Blair, Jenny, and Eric from the show. It was pretty cool to see the set. There are so many trucks and equipment for probably just a small part of the show, it was amazing to me. A few days later they were filming The Taking of Pelham 123. I looked it up and it is a remake of a 1960 movie. John Travolta and Denzel Washington are in the movie but they weren't on set when they were filming. All they were filming was stunts. It was pretty cool though. We saw a chase involving motorcycle cops and some other just regular cars. The other sets I saw weren't that exciting but I did see Ryan Gosling the other day just walking around. I was in a taxi so I wasn't able to see him up close. He was with a girl, I later found out while reading a magazine that he has been seeing Michelle Williams but I am not sure if she was with him at the time. That is probably the most exciting news from NYC.

Work is still going great, I am still extremely happy and I couldn't ask for more. I miss Arizona and all my friends and my family but I am feeling more and more at home here. If you have time, send me an email and let me know what is going on back home. I don't hear from too many people back home and want to know what's going on. My email is Jenirudd@aol.com. Hope all is well. Goodbye for now.

No comments: