Well, tomorrow I will have been in New York City for one month. The first month was a trial month for both me and the family so we can make sure that it was going to work for everyone. Well, I found out Monday that I am officially hired and am going on the books this week, which means I start getting benefits. So that was the good part of the week...
Bonding...
Getting a four year old to like me is tougher than I thought. Not to brag but I usually don't have any problems with kids loving me and letting me into their little world. Granted this is a different situation than I have ever been in but still it is my new job and part of me feels like I am failing at it sometimes. When it is just William and I, we are great. We went to Central Park on Monday because the weather has been great. This week it has been in the 50's. Weird, uh?? It was in the 20's last week. So the park was great. We were laughing and having a great time. He was having a blast spinning me on the tire swing. He fell down laughing a few times. It was great, I didn't want to leave but it was getting dark and he had school the next day. When we got home and mom was there, I was once again forgotten and left behind. In these situations I am lost, I don't know what to do. He is my responsibility and I feel like I am supposed to take care of him without bothering his mom but he won't let me. For those of you who are parents, you will understand when you feel the child has taken charge of the situation. I don't like it when I have lost control and I can't control it without him hating me and never letting me in. I feel like I am in a catch 22. On one hand I can take control and not let him get away with everything but if I do that he will probably dislike me even more than he does now. On the other hand, if I let him do whatever he wants without taking any control, he will continue to have that control even after we have had sometime together. I try and even it out, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't feel like I am getting anywhere. Will's mom, Mrs. B, talked to me on Monday when she told me she wants to make everything official, meaning I was officially hired. She wanted to make sure I still wanted this job. I think she sensed that I have been a little stressed out about everything with Will. She told me not to put pressure on myself that she understands when Will runs to her. She said it will just take time. It made me feel better that she understood and was able to let me know not to stress out about it. I know it will take time but I guess I am just used to all the kids back home at the daycare who love me and would run to me any chance they got. I miss all those kids. So I guess time will tell.
New Stuff & New Adventures
So on my days off I usually go tour the city and I always have things I need to go buy because I rarely get out during the week while I am working. Well, last week I went to Best Buy to buy a remote for my IPod, but I walked out of the store with a new camera and case and no remote. I wanted a smaller more compact camera that I can take anywhere in my bag. I love my other camera but it isn't that convenient to carry around the city. I love my new camera. It is a Canon Elph 1000. It is great. My first time out with it I went to The Metropolitan Museum of Art with William and his brother Henry. The Met was amazing. I thought it was going to be just a bunch of pictures and boring art, sorry for those who love art history. Well, we went through European History and saw mummies and tombs and hieroglyphics. We saw the Temple of Dendur, I didn't get to read about that so I am really not sure what it is, so if you know about it please fill me in with what I was looking at.
Bonding...
Getting a four year old to like me is tougher than I thought. Not to brag but I usually don't have any problems with kids loving me and letting me into their little world. Granted this is a different situation than I have ever been in but still it is my new job and part of me feels like I am failing at it sometimes. When it is just William and I, we are great. We went to Central Park on Monday because the weather has been great. This week it has been in the 50's. Weird, uh?? It was in the 20's last week. So the park was great. We were laughing and having a great time. He was having a blast spinning me on the tire swing. He fell down laughing a few times. It was great, I didn't want to leave but it was getting dark and he had school the next day. When we got home and mom was there, I was once again forgotten and left behind. In these situations I am lost, I don't know what to do. He is my responsibility and I feel like I am supposed to take care of him without bothering his mom but he won't let me. For those of you who are parents, you will understand when you feel the child has taken charge of the situation. I don't like it when I have lost control and I can't control it without him hating me and never letting me in. I feel like I am in a catch 22. On one hand I can take control and not let him get away with everything but if I do that he will probably dislike me even more than he does now. On the other hand, if I let him do whatever he wants without taking any control, he will continue to have that control even after we have had sometime together. I try and even it out, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't feel like I am getting anywhere. Will's mom, Mrs. B, talked to me on Monday when she told me she wants to make everything official, meaning I was officially hired. She wanted to make sure I still wanted this job. I think she sensed that I have been a little stressed out about everything with Will. She told me not to put pressure on myself that she understands when Will runs to her. She said it will just take time. It made me feel better that she understood and was able to let me know not to stress out about it. I know it will take time but I guess I am just used to all the kids back home at the daycare who love me and would run to me any chance they got. I miss all those kids. So I guess time will tell.
New Stuff & New Adventures
So on my days off I usually go tour the city and I always have things I need to go buy because I rarely get out during the week while I am working. Well, last week I went to Best Buy to buy a remote for my IPod, but I walked out of the store with a new camera and case and no remote. I wanted a smaller more compact camera that I can take anywhere in my bag. I love my other camera but it isn't that convenient to carry around the city. I love my new camera. It is a Canon Elph 1000. It is great. My first time out with it I went to The Metropolitan Museum of Art with William and his brother Henry. The Met was amazing. I thought it was going to be just a bunch of pictures and boring art, sorry for those who love art history. Well, we went through European History and saw mummies and tombs and hieroglyphics. We saw the Temple of Dendur, I didn't get to read about that so I am really not sure what it is, so if you know about it please fill me in with what I was looking at.
After the Temple of Dendur, we got lost. They were remodeling part of the American History portion and couldn't get through, so it wasn't our fault, the map we had wasn't updated. We finally made our way to Arms and Armor. 
If you ever make it to The Met you have to see this part. It is really interesting and fun to see all of these knights. Next we saw the musical instruments from around the world.
There were some very interesting instruments that were a lot like modern day instruments with some differences. The pianos were probably my favorite.
Some were so ornate and grand. Some were very large and others were small with multiple levels of keys.
There were so many pianos that were all very different. I would have loved to stay longer at the Met but I was with a 4 year old and they get tired and bored faster than adults. This week I decided to be a little adventures and go outside of Manhattan. I haven't been outside Manhattan other than to go to JFK Airport. Well, I heard that there was this large mall in Queens that has stores and prices that "normal" people can afford. Well, I got there without getting lost, it just took 2 subways to get there. I was so proud when I came up from the Subway and saw the mall. It was a small accomplishment that I fulfilled, venturing out to the other boroughs. The mall has a JCPennys, Macy's, Sears and a Target just down the street. I finally found myself a Target. Inside the mall there is an Applebee's that has normal prices. The Applebee's inside Manhattan is probably twice as much as back home. It was nice to be in a mall, it made me feel less like I was so far from home. I have wanted and needed a big black jacket. I found one in a store on sale for $39.99 regularly for $99.99. The Manhattan Mall is strange because it is separated with roads going through it. Part of the mall is all on one corner with the food court inside but most of the major stores are across the street. This mall was a zoo right around Christmas time. I am so happy to find the mall in Queens. I think next week I might venture into Brooklyn a little bit. When I came with my mom, we took a tour through Brooklyn and I can't wait to see it on my own terms. I just need a destination.
So, Wednesday I won lottery tickets to go see Wicked on Broadway. The tickets were $26.25 and are located in the front row. I have seen Wicked 3 times now with 3 different Elphabas, Glendas, and Fyeros. I have seen it twice in New York and once in LA. My favorite cast was in LA. It was still great. I love the music. Next week I am going to try to get tickets to either Hairspray or Legally Blonde.
Well, I will probably write more later but I am exhausted. It has been a long week and I just started my work week. Oh, I forgot some little info...I got my church records transferred to my ward here. I can't wait to start meeting more people. I just found out today that for Spring Break I will be going to Disney World. I have never been so I am extremely excited. I am going home for my birthday, in just one month. I can't wait. I also found out that Mrs. B is going out of town later this month for a few days. I am a little nervous because I will probably have a very unhappy little boy to take care of. Hopefully things get better before she leaves. Well, I can't think of anything else, although I know there is more. There is a story of a man I met at TGI Fridays that you will have to wait until next time. Oh and since I really don't know many people here in New York and am a little afraid of being forgotten back home, send me a email (jenirudd@aol.com) or text me and say hi and let me know how things are going. I would really appreciate it. Gotta go. Love you all.

No comments:
Post a Comment